NASCAR WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED DRIVER L.W. MILLER SCORES SUNDAY VICTORY AT MOTOR MILE SPEEDWAY
RADFORD, Va. (April 23, 2006) - NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified driver L.W. Miller picked up his first career victory Sunday evening at Motor Mile Speedway, doing so in rather convincing fashion as evident by his 11-second margin of victory over Jay Foley.
“I don't know whether I'm more excited or more tired because we ran another race this weekend before this one,” Miller said. “This was a great weekend for me and my team. This is the most dominant car I've ever had before. This car was just on a rail tonight, plus the Motor Mile is just an awesome track and a beautiful facility.
“For about the first 50 laps, I was just riding around trying to figure out how everybody else was running and how hard they were going at it. I drove up to the leaders just to make sure I had something for them when it was time to get down and really go racing. I was able to run Jay Foley down and get around him. After awhile I was just pulling away and had such a good car that the only thing that was going to hurt me was a caution.”
From that point on, it was simply a matter of Miller pulling away from his other competitors en route to the victory as the final 115 laps were run without a caution.
“We got to lead some laps and that's something I haven't been able to do for awhile,” Foley said. “Our car was really good and I'm just tickled to death to come out of here with a second-place finish. Early in the race I was just trying to find a pace to run so I wouldn't use my tires up. I just didn't have enough for L.W. Miller when it counted.”
Rounding out the top-five behind Miller and Foley were Jason Myers, Brian Pack and Junior Miller.
“I love this,” Myers said. “After the year I've had so far, to finish third means the world to me. I'm tickled to death with this Foley Racing Engine we had in the car. For two of the top three cars to have Foley motors says a lot about how good a motor Jay and his guys build. I really don't think me or anybody else had anything for L.W. Miller. I'll take third and be happy with that.”
Brian Loftin won the Bud Pole by setting a Motor Mile track record when he circled the .416-mile short track at a speed of 102.016 mph. After the qualifying redraw, Loftin started sixth with the front row made up by Jason Myers and Foley. On the initial restart, it was Foley jumping out to the early lead until Loftin's luck ran out on Lap 25 when he spun and made slight contact with the fourth turn wall.
The second yellow flag of the race was thrown on Lap 47 for a harmless spin involving Jay Hedgecock, while the third caution was thrown when Joe Lucas looped his Chevrolet in the third turn.
At the halfway mark – or Lap 100 – the top-five consisted of Foley in the lead, followed by L.W. Miller, Myers, Junior Miller and Tim Brown in fifth. One lap later, Miller shot past Foley to take the top spot and become the second – and ultimately the last – leader of the race.
The Top 10 was completed by Ted Christopher, Burt Myers, John Smith, Tim Brown and Gene Pack.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action June 30 at Caraway Speedway in Asheboro , N.C.
94.9 STAR Country 200
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
Motor Mile Speedway April 23, 2006
Final leaders of Sunday's $24,170.00 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
Showing finishing position, starting position (in parentheses), driver name, hometown, manufacturer, laps completed, winner's average speed, reason out (if any), money won
1. (5) #36 L.W. Miller, Mooresville N.C. , Chevrolet, 200, 85.018 mph, $2,000
2. (2) #57 Jay Foley, Stuart Va., Chevrolet, 200, $1,500
3. (1) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 200, $1,330
4. (16) #81 Brian Pack, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 200, $1,050
5. (3) #69 Junior Miller, Pine Hall N.C. , Dodge, 200, $1,000
6. (14) #80 Ted Christopher, Plainville Conn. , Chevrolet, 199, $900
7. (4) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 199, $800
8. (18) #25 John Smith, Mount Airy N.C., Chevrolet, 199, $700
9. (8) #83 Tim Brown, Cana Va. , Chevrolet, 199, $650
10. (19) #31 Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach S.C. , Chevrolet, 199, $600
11. (7) #19 Chuck Hossfeld, Ransomville N.Y. , Pontiac, 199, $550
12. (10) #50 Michael Clifton, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 198, $525
13. (23) #04 Kevin Powell, Winston-Salem N.C. , 197, $700
14. (21) #70 Andrew Seuss, Hamstead N.H. , 197, $475
15. (15) #53 Lee Jeffreys, High Point N.C. , Dodge, 197, $450
16. (22) #22 Joe Lucas, Riner Va. , Chevrolet, 196, $440
17. (20) #79 John Sutton, Harrisburg N.C. , Chevrolet, 196, $430
18. (24) #8 Jay Mize, Clemmons N.C. , Chevrolet, 190, $420
19. (12) #34 Josh Nichols, Mooresville N.C. , Chevrolet, 176, Engine, $410
20. (9) #14 Bobby Hutchens, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 175, $400
21. (11) #41 Jay Hedgecock, High Point N.C. , Dodge, 113, Suspension, $390
22. (13) #07 Frank Fleming, Mount Airy N.C., Pontiac, 68, Overheating, $370
23. (6) #23 Brian Loftin, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 24, Rear End, $550
24. (17) #17 Brian King, Burlington N.C. , Chevrolet, 2, Oil Pump, $330
25. (25) #01Tam Topham, Whythville Va. , Dodge, 1, Engine, $300
BUD POLE AWARD: Brian Loftin, L&R Transmission Chevrolet 14.680 (102.016 mph) New Track Record
FEATHERLITE 'MOST IMPROVED DRIVER': Jason Myers, 4 Crown Pontiac/DMC Auto Exchange Chevrolet
POWERADE 'POWER MOVE OF THE RACE': Brian Pack, 81 Showtime Video & Tanning/ Skull Graphics Chevrolet
Caution Flags: Laps 26-34; 48-52; 81-85. 3 for 19 laps.
Lap Leaders: Jay Foley 1-100, L.W. Miller 101-200
Total Laps Led: L.W. Miller 100, Jay Foley 100. 1 changes involving 2 drivers.
Top 10 Driver Points: Junior Miller 675, L.W. Miller 621, Tim Brown 615, Burt Myers 565, Brian Pack 559, Jason Myers 515, Gene Pack 514, Bobby Hutchens 513, Jay Hedgecock 506, Michael Clifton 497
Next Race: Caraway Speedway (June 30th)
* Denotes Rookie of the Year Contender
For More Information, Contact:
Jason Mitchell, Media Coordinator, NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour at firstname.lastname@example.org