JUNIOR MILLER CONTINUES DOMINANCE FRIDAY NIGHT AT CARAWAY SPEEDWAY WITH VICTORY IN THE NASCAR WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED DRIVER 150
CARAWAY, N.C. (JUNE 30, 2006) - Junior Miller continued his dominance on Friday night at Caraway Speedway by leading from wire-to-wire to score the win in the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150. It was Miller's third victory of the 2006 Whelen Southern Modified Tour season which allows him to extend his lead in the point standings as he guns for a second straight championship.
Only six days after becoming the most victorious Modified driver in history at Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem , N.C. , Miller was back to his winning ways as he led every single lap but had to hold off a ‘green-white-checkered' finish ahead of runner-up Brian King. To put Miller's dominance into some kind of perspective, take into account that he has led 459 laps out of a possible 603 circuits in the last four Southern Modified races.
“I just have to thank the Good Lord for all the good luck we've been having this year because we've been awesome,” Miller said following the race. “All my guys on this team helped build me a great race car that was able to jump out there and lead every lap. We had a good car all night and I wasn't really running all that hard until about the last 10 laps and then I let the hammer down. This was the race's dominant car and hopefully we can keep this momentum going in our direction for the rest of the season.”
King was more than pleased with his second-place finish.
“Man, this is like a win to me,” King said. “I've never finished second in this tour before now so we're learning and hopefully we've got things headed in the right direction.”
The top-five was completed by Chuck Hossfeld, Frank Fleming and Burt Myers. The Top-10 was rounded out by Bobby Hutchens, Brian Loftin, Tim Brown, Gene Pack and Jason Myers.
Miller wasted little time showing he was going to be the car to beat as he beat Hutchens into the first turn on the first lap to take the early lead. Brian Loftin won the Bud Pole with at time of 16.368, but started fourth after the first six drivers redrew their starting positions. The first caution of the night came out when Hossfeld went for a harmless spin on the seventh lap. The second yellow flag of the evening came on Lap 22 when Michael Clifton's car stalled coming off the second turn.
Burt Myers was knocking on the door for third when his car slipped up the track which let King by for third with a hard-charging Hossfeld recovering from his early spin to get back to fourth. While Miller was still in command of the lead at the 60-lap mark of the scheduled 150-lap distance, the battle for second through sixth was one that kept the fans on their feet.
At the halfway mark, it was Miller holding court with the top-five rounded out by Hutchens, King, Hossfeld and Fleming. The third yellow of the night was a bit scary for a moment when Brian Pack – who was running fourth at the time – had an oil line come loose which sent flames from out of his No. 81 Chevrolet for a brief moment though he was able to walk away unharmed.
A late caution set the stage for King to mount a comeback, but on the restart it would be Miller taking off and never seriously having to look back en route to the victory.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action Aug. 5 at Bowman Gray Speedway in the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 199.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150
Caraway Speedway June 30, 2006
Final leaders of Friday's $22,912.00 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour stock car race
Showing finishing position, starting position (in parentheses), driver name, hometown, manufacturer, laps completed, winner's average speed, reason out (if any), money won
1. (2) #69 Junior Miller, Pine Hall N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, 75.162 mph, $2,000
2. (12) #17 Brian King, Burlington N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,700
3. (13) #19 Chuck Hossfeld, Ransomville N.Y. , Pontiac, 150, $1,125
4. (5) #07 Frank Fleming, Mount Airy N.C., Pontiac, 150, $1,250
5. (6) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,000
6. (1) #14 Bobby Hutchens, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $850
7. (4) #23 Brian Loftin, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $950
8. (3) #83 Tim Brown, Cana Va. , Chevrolet, 150, $690
9. (17) #31 Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach S.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $590
10. (8) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $550
11. (10) #01 Jay Foley, Stuart Va., Chevrolet, 150, $525
12. (14) #36 Earl Baker, Winton-Salem N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $500
13. (16) #22 Joe Lucas, Riner Va. , Chevrolet, 150, $485
14. (9) #34 Josh Nichols, Mooresville N.C. , Chevrolet, 149, $460
15. (21) #3 Lee Jeffreys, High Point N.C. , Dodge, 149, Ignition, $445
16. (20) #79 John Sutton, Harrisburg N.C. , Chevrolet, 142, $430
17. (15) #81 Brian Pack, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 122, Oil Line, $420
18. (11) #41 Jay Hedgecock, High Point N.C. , Dodge, 69, Steering, $410
19. (19) #8 Jay Mize, Clemmons N.C. , Chevrolet, 43, Overheating, $400
20. (18) #44 Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem N.C. , Chevrolet, 27, Ignition, $390
21. (7) #59 Michael Clifton, Walkertown N.C. , Ford, 22, Ignition, $380
BUD POLE AWARD: Brian Loftin, L&R Transmission Chevrolet 16.368
FEATHERLITE 'MOST IMPROVED DRIVER': Brian King, 17 Adam's Towing Chevrolet
POWERADE 'POWER MOVE OF THE RACE': Frank Fleming, 07 Patterson Automotive/ProHealth Center Pontiac
Caution Flags: Laps 8-11; 23-27; 123-133; 145-148. 4 for 24 laps .
Lap Leaders: Junior Miller 1-150
Total Laps Led: Junior Miller 150. 0 changes involving 1 driver .
Top 10 Driver Points: Junior Miller 855, Tim Brown 757, Burt Myers 720, Brian Pack 671, Bobby Hutchens 663, Gene Pack 652, Jason Myers 649, Brian King 634, L.W. Miller 621, Jay Hedgecock 615
Next Race: Bowman Gray Stadium (Aug. 5)
* Denotes Rookie of the Year Contender
For More Information, Contact:
Jason Mitchell, Media Coordinator, NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour at firstname.lastname@example.org