L.W. MILLER MAKES IT A SWEEP OF 2006 NASCAR WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED TOUR RACE SATURDAY NIGHT AT MOTOR MILE SPEEDWAY
RADFORD, Va. (Oct. 14, 2006) It's probably a safe bet to say that NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour driver L.W. Miller would like to see more than a couple of race dates scheduled at Motor Mile Speedway next season. Miller made it a clean sweep of both 2006 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour races at the beautiful Motor Mile short track on Saturday night in the Star Country 94.9/Adams Construction 150.
It was Miller's third win of this year's NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour season and he picked it up in rather thrilling fashion as he had to hold off a late-race charge from second-place finisher Brian Pack who posted his best career series finish.
We had a very dominant car and I have to thank all the guys at Baker Motorsports for letting me drive it for them, Miller said. Those guys work so hard all week long getting this car ready for me and I can't thank them enough. When we came here in the spring we also had a dominant car even though the handling of the track was a little different back then. I didn't know based off practice how good we were going to be once the race started.
Miller admits that the lapped traffic in the closing laps made things a little more interesting than he would have preferred.
I thought Brian might have had something for me there at the end because he had a very strong car, Miller said. I wasn't just out there in the lead riding around because when Brian got to me I had to go and go as hard as I could. It was a good race and I just have to thank all the fans who showed up to support this series.
Pack was all smiles after the race and walking over to Miller to offer his congratulations.
We finally had a good handling car and a powerful motor and to be honest, if we were lacking anything it probably falls on my shoulders, Pack said. We're getting closer to winning one of these NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour races. Hopefully we can pick that win up next weekend in the season-finale at Southern National Race Park.
Aside from Miller's victory, one of the biggest stories of the night centered on the battle for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour championship as Junior Miller no relation to L.W. Miller entered the race with a narrow nine-point lead over close friend and rival Tim Brown.
Brown finished fifth Saturday night and reassumed the lead in the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour championship lead by a mere four points with one race remaining as Miller ended up eighth.
Burt Myers won the Bud Pole Award with his lap at 100.584 mph, but started second after the first 10 cars were drawn and redrawn. That put Jason Myers on the pole for the start of the race alongside his older brother. The Top 10 was rounded out by Tim Brown, Junior Miller, Wesley Swartout, Brian Loftin, Brian King, L.W. Miller, Brandon Ward and Andrew Seuss.
On the initial restart, it was Jason Myers taking the top spot, bringing Tim Brown with him to second with Burt Myers falling in line third. Loftin and L.W. Miller took over the top two spots on Lap 11, with Miller making his way to the lead on Lap 15 and a position he would hang onto for the remainder of the event.
The first caution flag of the night came out on Lap 52 when Loftin went for a harmless spin in the third turn, unfortunate for him but lucky for the competitors who had all but seen the lead car of Miller check out from the field. The second caution was thrown for debris just before the halfway point.
At the halfway mark, the top-five was made up by Miller, Brian Pack, Seuss and Junior Miller. When all was said and done, though, there was simply no denying Miller of the victory and a clean sweep of the 2006 racing action at the Motor Mile Speedway for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action and the championship will be decided next Saturday night, Oct. 21, in the rescheduled Night of Modifieds 100 at Southern National Raceway Park in Kenly, N.C.
NASCAR Race Number 12
Unofficial Race Results For The Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150
Motor Mile October 14, 2006
1. (8)#36 L.W. Miller, Mooresville N.C. , Pontiac, 150, 84.834 mph, $2,000
2. (11)#81 Brian Pack, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,700
3. (9) #42 Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,125
4. (10) #70 Andrew Seuss, Hamstead N.H. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,050
5. (3) #83 Tim Brown, Cana Va. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,000
6. (13) #57 Jay Foley, Stuart Va., Chevrolet, 150, $850
7. (2) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 149, $950
8. (4) #69 Junior Miller, Pine Hall N.C. , Dodge, 149, $690
9. (1) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 149, $590
10. (7) #17 Brian King, Burlington N.C. , Chevrolet, 149, $550
11. (5) #25 Wesley Swartout, Stroudsburg Pa. , Chevrolet, 148, $525
12. (16) #04 Kevin Powell, Winston-Salem N.C. , Ford, 148, $500
13. (17) #31 Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach S.C. , Chevrolet, 146, $685
14. (14) #14 Bobby Hutchens, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 146, $460
15. (19) #22 Joe Lucas, Riner Va. , Chevrolet, 145, $445
16. (18) #8 Jay Mize, Clemmons N.C. , Chevrolet, 145, $430
17. (15) #07 Frank Fleming, Mount Airy N.C., Pontiac , 68, Engine, $420
18. (6) #23 Brian Loftin, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 50, Brakes, $410
19. (20) #3 Jay Charles, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 6, Engine, $400
20. (12) #2 George Brunnhoelzl III, Long Island N.Y. , Chevrolet, 0, Rear End, $390
21. (21) #50 Michael Clifton, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 0, Oil Pump, $380
Time of Race: 44 mins, 8 secs Average Speed: 84.834 mph Margin of Victory: . 967 Seconds
BUD POLE AWARD: Burt Myers, 1 Kernersville Carpets/DMC Auto Exchange Chevrolet
FEATHERLITE 'MOST IMPROVED DRIVER': Gene Pack, 31 Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse Chevrolet
POWERADE 'POWER MOVE OF THE RACE': Brian Pack, 81 Jagermeister Chevrolet
Caution Flags: Laps 53-56; 71-77. 2 for 11 laps
Lap Leaders: Jason Myers 1-10, Brian Loftin 11-15, L.W. Miller 16-150
Total Laps Led: L.W. Miller 135, Jason Myers 10, Brian Loftin 5. 2 changes involving 3 drivers
Top 10 Driver Points: Tim Brown 1922, Junior Miller 1918, L.W. Miller 1764, Burt Myers 1748, Brian King 1674, Jason Myers 1642, Brian Pack 1636, Bobby Hutchens 1633, Gene Pack 1571, Frank Fleming 1534
Next Race : Southern National Raceway Park (Oct. 21)
For more information, contact:
Jason Mitchell, NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour @ email@example.com