TED CHRISTOPHER SCORES NASCAR WHELEN MODIFIED TOUR SEASON OPENER FOR SECOND STRAIGHT YEAR SATURDAY NIGHT AT CARAWAY SPEEDWAY
ASHEBORO, N.C. (March 25, 2006) Ted Christopher absolutely loves coming to Caraway Speedway and considering his track record at the short track it's easy to see why he likes the facility so much. On Saturday night at Caraway, Christopher scored his second straight win in the season-opener for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour in a thrilling two-lap sprint to the checkered flag over Chuck Hossfeld.
Christopher grabbed the victory in the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150 over a 27-car field, easily the largest field in Whelen Southern Modified history since NASCAR took over the series in 2005. In fact, there were 29 cars in attendance but two were unable to start the event.
“This is pretty cool,” Christopher said. “I guess I'm going to have to keep coming to the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour season-opener. I can't believe we won this race again. I've always really liked Caraway because the track is absolutely perfect for these cars. I about won the first time I ever came to Caraway. This is a fun track and tonight we had a very good car and we're sitting in Victory Lane so I don't know how it could get a lot better than this.”
Some drivers had touble in qualifying due to the cold weather and when all was said and done, Burt Myer's of Walnut Cove,NC grabbed the first 2006 Bud Pole. After the re-draw for starting positions, Myer's would hold onto the number one spot with Michael Clifton starting on the out side.
When the green waved Clifton would jump to the lead and hold onto the lead for first 14 laps. On lap 15 Myer's would take over the lead for a brief moment before Christopher passing for the lead on Lap 20, Christopher would never looked back, even though his .219 second margin of victory over Hossfeld was anything but easy for the Plainville , Conn. driver. A late caution allowed Hossfeld to close in on Christopher's bumper for the Lap 148 restart with two circuits remaining.
“This is pretty cool to finish second to a guy like Ted Christopher in my first race here at Caraway even though second-place really stinks because we had such a good car,” Hossfield said. “I could have spun him out and went on to win the race, but I don't want to win if I've got to wreck somebody to do it. I just want to thank everybody with this team and David Hill. This is really an honor and I'm really proud of what we pulled off in our first race together. I wish we could have pulled it off.”
The 2006 NASCAR Whelen Tour Champion had a good run starting in the 13th spot and finishing just behind Myer's in 4th. Jay Hedgecock one of the many drivers having trouble in qualifying also had a great run, having to start in the 24th postion after wrecking in his qualifying run came on strong at the end to finish 9th.
Rounding out the top-five behind Christopher and Hossfeld were Burt Myers who started from the Pole, Junior Miller in fourth and Jamie Tomaino in fifth.
There were eight caution flags that slowed the field for 48 laps.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action April 8 at the legendary Greenville-Pickens (S.C.) Speedway .
Race Results For The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150 - 03/25/2006
Caraway Speedway - Sophia, NC - 0.45-mile paved oval
Total Race Length 107 K - 150L - 67 M Purse: $23,670
Showing finishing position, starting position (in parentheses), driver name, hometown, manufacturer, laps completed, winner's average speed, reason out (if any), money won
1. (5) 80Ted Christopher, Plainville Conn. , Chevrolet, 150, 63.579 mph, $2,200
2. (7) 19 Chuck Hossfeld, Ransomville N.Y. , Pontiac , 150, $1,500
3. (1) 1 Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,325
4. (13) 69 Junior Miller, Pine Hall N.C. , Dodge, 150, $1,050
5. (10) 99 Jamie Tomaino, Howell N.J. , Ford, 150, $1,000
6. (21) 81 Brian Pack, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,050
7. (2) 50 Michael Clifton, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 146, $750
8. (27) 83 Tim Brown, Cana Va. , Chevrolet, 142, $690
9. (24) 41 Jay Hedgecock, High Point N.C. , Dodge, 138, $590
10. (8) 14 Bobby Hutchens, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 134, $550
11. (22) 40 Bradley Robbins, Winston-Salem N.C. , Chevrolet, 130, $525
12. (14) 34 Josh Nichols, Mooresville N.C. , Chevrolet, 127, Penalty, $500
13. (11) 23 Brian Loftin, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 124, $485
14. (18) 30 Earl Baker, Winton-Salem N.C. , Chevrolet, 121, $460
15. (6) 17 Brian King, Burlington N.C. , Chevrolet, 118, $445
16. (15) 25 John Smith, Mount Airy N.C., Chevrolet, 115, $430
17. (23) 00 Johnathon Brown, Winston-Salem N.C. , Chevrolet, 112, $420
18. (12) 4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 109, Accident, $410
19.(19) 36 L.W. Miller, Mooresville N.C. , Pontiac , 106, Suspension, $400
20. (4) 07 Frank Fleming, Mount Airy N.C., Pontiac , 103, Radiator, $390
21. (19) 31 Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach S.C. , Chevrolet, 100, $380
22.(9) 70 Andrew Seuss, Hamstead N.H., Chevrolet, 97, Handling, $360
23. (26) 8 Jay Mize, Clemmons N.C. , Chevrolet, 94, Suspension, $340
24. (25) 89 Brian Crammer, Howell N.J. , Chevrolet, 91, Accident, $320
25. (16) 79 John Sutton, Harrisburg N.C. , Chevrolet, 108, Accident, $300
26. (17) 76 Kevin Eckerich, Clayton N.C., Chevrolet, 105, Accident, $300
27. (20) 01 Lee Jeffreys, High Point N.C. , Dodge, 1, Electrical, $300
Didnot Start: Kevin Powell, Joe Lucas
Time of Race: 1 hrs., 3 mins, 42 secs Average Speed: 63.579 mph Margin of Victory: .219 Seconds
BUD POLE AWARD: Burt Myers, 1 DMC Auto Exchange Chevrolet
FEATHERLITE 'MOST IMPROVED DRIVER': Burt Myers, 1 DMC Auto Exchange Chevrolet
POWERADE 'POWER MOVE OF THE RACE': Brian Pack, 81 Showtime Video & Tanning/ Skull Graphics Chevrolet
Caution Flags: Laps 9-12; 20-24; 32-35; 37-44; 46-51; 78-80; 109-118; 141-148. 8 for 48 laps.
Lap Leaders: Burt Myers 0, Michael Clifton 1-14, Burt Myers 15-19, Ted Christopher 20-150.
Total Laps Led: Ted Christopher 131, Michael Clifton 14, Burt Myers 5. 3 changes involving 3 drivers.
Top 10 Driver Points: Ted Christopher 180, Chuck Hossfeld 170, Burt Myers 165, Junior Miller 160, Jamie Tomaino 155, Brian Pack 150, Michael Clifton 146, Tim Brown 142, Jay Hedgecock 138, Bobby Hutchens 134
Next Race: Greenville-Pickens Speedway (April 8)
* Denotes Rookie of the Year Contender
For More Information, Contact:
Jason Mitchell, Media Coordinator, NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour at firstname.lastname@example.org