NASCAR WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED TOUR DRIVER JUNIOR MILLER TAKES SATURDAY NIGHT VICTORY AT CARAWAY SPEEDWAY
ASHEBORO, N.C. (April 15, 2006) NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour driver Junior Miller showed why he's the defending series champion as the Pine Hall, N.C. driver scored the Saturday night victory in the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150 at Caraway Speedway. He did so in typical Junior Miller fashion, stalking Ted Christopher for the first two-thirds of the race before sweeping past him for good and leading the final 52 laps en route to his second win of the 2006 season.
Caraway is a track that has been kind to Miller through his legendary racing career, as he won two races at Asheboro short track last year en route to the Whelen Southern Modified Tour title. In fact, Miller has established a two-race winning streak this season when you include his win a week ago at Greenville-Pickens (S.C.) Speedway. This win helped Miller extended his championship points lead over Tim Brown by 43 points.
I just rode around there behind Ted for most of the race and tried to save my tires for the end, Miller said. I knew with a guy as talented as Ted that I couldn't wait too long or I wouldn't have a chance. This team built me a great car and it was a pleasure to drive. A race car like this makes my job as a driver a lot easier.
Miller had pulled out to a fairly comfortable lead until the fourth and final caution flag came out for a spin by Jay Hedgecock, this set the stage for a green-white-checkered finish. Miller was able to get a good restart and held off a hard-charging L.W. Miller who charged around Tim Brown for second on the restart but didn't have enough laps left to chase down Miller for the win. Miller won by a scant .223 margin of victory.
We came here to win and had a shot at it, L.W. Miller said. We're not running for the point championship this year so really winning these races is why we're here. I thought we had one of the best cars on the track but just ran out of time.
The top-five was rounded out by Tim Brown, Christopher and Brian Crammer. The Top-10 was completed by Gene Pack, John Smith, Jamie Tomaino, Josh Nichols and Brian King.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action next Saturday night, April 22, in the 94.9 STAR Country 150 at the Motor Mile Speedway in Radford , Va.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour
Caraway Speedway April 15, 2006
Showing finishing position, starting position (in parentheses), driver name, hometown, manufacturer, laps completed, winner's average speed, reason out (if any), money won
1. (9) #69 Junior Miller, Pine Hall N.C. , Dodge, 156, $2,000
2. (7) #36 L.W. Miller, Mooresville N.C. , Chevrolet, 156, $1,500
3. (4) #83 Tim Brown, Cana Va. , Chevrolet, 156, $1,125
4. (2) #80 Ted Christopher, Plainville Conn. , Chevrolet, 156, $1,050
5. (5) #89 Brian Crammer, Howell N.J. , Chevrolet, 156, $1,000
6. (19) #31 Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach S.C. , Chevrolet, 156, $850
7. (18) #25 John Smith, Mount Airy N.C., Chevrolet, 156, $750
8. (24) #99 Jamie Tomaino, Howell N.J. , Ford, 156, $890
9. (16) #34 Josh Nichols, Mooresville N.C. , Chevrolet, 156, $590
10. (10) #17 Brian King, Burlington N.C. , Chevrolet, 156, $550
11. (3) #41 Jay Hedgecock, High Point N.C. , Dodge, 155, $525
12. (23)#01 Jay Foley, Stuart Va., Chevrolet , 155, $500
13. (1) #50 Michael Clifton, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 155, $685
14. (20) #14 Bobby Hutchens, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 155, $460
15. (6) #23 Brian Loftin, Lexington N.C. , Chevrolet, 154, $645
16. (25) #79 John Sutton, Harrisburg N.C. , Chevrolet, 152, $430
17. (15) #22 Joe Lucas, Riner Va. , Chevrolet, 147, $420
18. (22) #30 Earl Baker, Winton-Salem N.C., Chevrolet,126, Handling, $410
19. (13) #06 Steve Whitt, Forked River N.J. , 76, Ignition, $400
20. (12) #81 Brian Pack, Walkertown N.C. , Chevrolet, 71, Ignition, $390
21. (26) #04 Kevin Powell, Winston-Salem N.C. , 60, Brakes, $380
22. (11) #07 Frank Fleming, Mount Airy N.C., Pontiac , 57, Engine, $360
23. (14) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 50, Engine, $340
24. (17) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove N.C. , Chevrolet, 14, Oil Pump, $320
25. (8) #19 Chuck Hossfeld, Ransomville N.Y. , Pontiac , 13, Accident, $300
26. (21) #0 Lee Jeffreys, High Point N.C. , Dodge, 2, Ignition, $300
BUD POLE AWARD: Brian Loftin, 23 Leonard Logging Chevrolet Time:16.272 Speed: 100.664
Time of Race: 53 mins, 1 secs Average Speed: 79.447 mph Margin of Victory: .223 Seconds
FEATHERLITE 'MOST IMPROVED DRIVER': Michael Clifton, 50 Clifton Plumbing Chevrolet
POWERADE 'POWER MOVE OF THE RACE': Jamie Tomaino, 99 Perth Amboy Spring Ford
Caution Flags: Laps 5-9; 15-20; 55-64; 150-154. 4 for 26 laps.
Lap Leaders: Ted Christopher 1-98, Junior Miller 99-156
Total Laps Led: Ted Christopher 98, Junior Miller 58. 1 changes involving 2 drivers.
Top 10 Driver Points: Junior Miller 520, Tim Brown 477, L.W. Miller 441, Burt Myers 419, Bobby Hutchens 410, Jay Hedgecock 406, Brian Pack 399,
Gene Pack 380, Brian King 373, Michael Clifton 370
Next Race: Motor Mile Speedway Speedway (April 22)
For More Information, Contact:
Jason Mitchell, Media Coordinator, NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour at firstname.lastname@example.org
MORE RACE PHOTOS Tag Here