Junior Miller wins NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150 Saturday night at Caraway Speedway
ASHEBORO, N.C. – Junior Miller found himself in a familiar place Saturday night following the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150 at Caraway Speedway – in Victory Lane. Miller picked up his fourth win of the 2006 Whelen Southern Modified Tour season – and his second triumph at the famed Caraway short track this year – by a .376 second margin of victory over runner-up Tim Brown.
“All the guys on this team did a good job of giving me just an awesome race car,” Miller said. “Having a good race car and a little luck is what it's all about, tonight that was a winning combination. We had a bad race at Martinsville last week so to bounce back with a victory like this is pretty awesome.”
Brown led the most laps but was passed by Miller with only six laps remaining. Brown declined comment following the race. The remainder of the top-five was made up of L.W. Miller, Brian Loftin and Brian King.
There were only two caution flags that slowed the race for seven laps for an average speed of 90.977 mph.
Tim Brown won the Bud Pole Award with a time of 99.283 mph, but it was the front row of L.W. Miller and Loftin leading the field to the green flag after the front 10 cars redrew their starting position following qualifying. Loftin took the early lead, but it was Miller regaining the top spot on the seventh lap. Miller's lead turned out to be a short stint as he was passed by Junior Miller on Lap 17.
Brown moved up from his fifth-place starting position to grab the lead from Miller with a bold outside move on Lap 52. Only five laps later, the first caution flag of the night came out when John Swartout went for a harmless spin coming off the fourth turn. Jay Mize brought out the second caution just after the restart when he looped his car coming off the second turn.
At the halfway mark it was Brown leading the top-five of Michael Clifton, Junior Miller, Loftin and L.W. Miller. In the end, though, there was simply denying Miller yet another trip to Victory Lane.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action next Friday night, Sept. Sept. 15 at Ace Speedway in Altamahaw, N.C.
NASCAR Race Number 8
Unofficial Race Results For The Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150 - 09/09/2006
Caraway Speedway - Asheboro, NC - 0.45-mile paved oval
Total Race Length 107 K - 150L - 67 M Purse: $22,912
1. (6) #69 Junior Miller, Pine Hall N.C., Chevrolet, 150, 90.977 mph, $2,200
2. (1) #83 Tim Brown, Cana Va., Chevrolet, 150, $1,700
3. (2) #36 L.W. Miller, Mooresville N.C., Pontiac, 150, $1,125
4. (7) #23 Brian Loftin, Lexington N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $1,050
5. (9) #17 Brian King, Burlington N.C., Pontiac, 150, $1,000
6. (13) #81 Brian Pack, Walkertown N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $1,050
7. (5) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $750
8. (4) #50 Michael Clifton, Walkertown N.C., Chevrolet, 150, $690
9. (14) #76 Kevin Eckerich, Clayton N.C., Chevrolet, 149, $590
10. (15) #01 Jay Foley, Stuart Va., Dodge, 148, $550
11. (11) #14 Bobby Hutchens, Lexington N.C., Chevrolet, 148, $525
12. (16) #31 Gene Pack, Myrtle Beach S.C., Chevrolet, 138, Engine, $500
13. (17) #8 Jay Mize, Clemmons N.C., Chevrolet, 137, $485
14. (3) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove N.C., Chevrolet, 121, $460
15. (10) #25 John Swartout, Stroudsburg Pa., Chevrolet, 70, Clutch, $445
16. (8) #07 Frank Fleming, Mount Airy N.C., Chevrolet, 62, Vibration, $430
17. (12) #79 Johnny Sutton, Harrisburg N.C., Chevrolet, 31, Electrical, $420
Time of Race: 44 mins, 31 secs Average Speed: 90.977 mph Margin of Victory:.376
BUD POLE AWARD: Tim Brown, 83 Hayes Jewelers Chevrolet 99.283 mph
FEATHERLITE MOST IMPROVED DRIVER: Junior Miller, 69 Advance Auto Chevrolet
POWERADE POWER MOVE OF THE RACE AWARD: Brian Pack, 81 Showtime Video & Tanning/ Skull Graphics Chevrolet
Caution Flags: Laps Laps 60-62; 64-67. 2 for 7 laps
Lap Leaders: Brian Loftin 1-6, L.W. Miller 7-15, Junior Miller 16-52, Tim Brown 53-143, Junior Miller 144-150
Total Laps Led: Tim Brown 91, Junior Miller 44, L.W. Miller 9, Brian Loftin 6. 4 changes involving 4 drivers
Top 10 Driver Points: Junior Miller 1319, Tim Brown 1262, Burt Myers 1138, L.W. Miller 1106, Bobby Hutchens 1096, Jason Myers 1092, Gene Pack 1079, Brian King 1061, Michael Clifton 1054, Brian Pack 1042
For More Information, Contact: Jason Mitchell, NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour@ email@example.com