Miller takes his turn Pennsylvania driver captures his first Modified win at BGS
Takes over NASCAR Whelen Points Lead
August 7, 2010 - 10:06pm
L.W. Miller has won as many NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour races as any driver. But he hadn't won at Bowman Gray Stadium.
Until last night.
Miller snatched the lead from Burt Myers -- the toughest driver to beat at the stadium this season -- and went on to a coveted first victory in the Strutmasters.com 199.
"To come here and win a big race like this, it's pretty awesome," said Miller, of Dushore, Pa., who drives a car owned by Winston-Salem's Danny Baker. "This one means a lot to me. That's all I've heard, that I've won about everywhere in all the tour races but, ‘Let's see what you can do at Bowman Gray.' Tonight I did it at Bowman Gray."
Miller, the 2007 Whelen Southern Modified Tour champion, registered his first tour victory since 2008. He won for the 11th time overall on the tour, matching Brian Loftin's record of 11 career wins.
But, before last night's breakthrough, Miller was 0 for 6 on the Stadium's tough-and-tight quarter-mile track. That fact stood in sharp contrast to the resume of Myers, who has 44 victories racing weekly at Bowman Gray and is this season's points leader.
Myers took the lead on the 36th lap from younger brother Jason Myers, who started last night's 199-lap main event from the pole position.
He successfully held off Miller in four double-file restarts after cautions, but knew, with 25 laps to go, that his lead was in jeopardy. Miller's car was getting better, and Myers' worse.
"It was a little bit of both," Miller said. "My car was good the whole race but so was Burt's. Toward the end, I finally figured a way to get the car around the track where before it was just a little too tight. Then Burt's car started to give up a little bit."
With 16 laps left, Miller loosened Myers with a tap in the North turn. Myers slipped and the rest was history.
"I pushed him, he got a little loose and he had to chase it up the track," Miller said. "It opened up just enough on the bottom for me to shoot in there. I raced as dirty as I could without being dirty. I think we're both OK with that."
Burt Myers said: "We just ran out of car. We were so good at the beginning I was worried that it might give up on me. For the first 175 laps we were really stout. But when these tour tires go, they go really quick. And when you start sliding around on these wide tires it doesn't take much of a shot to get you out of the groove. L.W. just did what he needed to do to win the race."
Myers hung on for second, John Smith finished third, Jason Myers fourth and Andy Seuss fifth.
Miller climbed past James Civali as the leader in tour standings after five races.
It wasn't a great night for Civali, who clipped the guardrail on the 11th lap and lost ground. Nor was it for Zach Brewer, the fastest qualifier on Friday, who got caught in a wreck in the 16th lap.
Last night's tour race was taped by Versus and will be broadcast on Aug. 18 at 7 p.m.
Whelen Southern Modified Tour - Strutmaster.com 199 Results
Saturday At Bowman Gray Stadium, Winston-Salem, NC
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (6) #36 L.W. Miller, Dushore, PA, Pontiac, 199 laps, 48.975 mph, $2,000.
2. (8) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 199, $1,500.
3. (10) #25 John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 199, $1,125.
4. (1) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 199, $1,050.
5. (5) #47 Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Dodge, 199, $1,000.
6. (14) #40 Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 199, $1,450.
7. (7) #11 Zach Brewer, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 199, $1,100.(Pole Winner)
8. (15) #44 Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 199, $690.
9. (11) #2 Josh Nichols, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 199, $590.
10. (18) #5 Randy Butner, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 198, $550.
11. (4) #31 Gene Pack, North Myrtle Beach, S.C., Chevrolet, 197, $525.
12. (3) #29 Luke Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 197, $500.
13. (12) #79 James Civali, Meriden, CT, Pontiac, 183, $485.
14. (2) #48 Brad Robbins, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 105, accident, $460.
15. (9) #02 Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 101, $445.
16. (17) #12 Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Ford, 68, accident, $530.
17. (16) #97 Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, LA, Chevrolet, 67, accident, $420.
18. (13) #0 Greg Butcher, Mocksville, NC, Chevrolet, 15, accident, $410.
Fastest Qualifier: Zach Brewer, Time: 13.329 Seconds, Speed: 67.522 mph
Time of Race: 1 hrs., 0 mins, 57 secs Average Speed: 48.975 mph Margin of Victory: 1.508 Seconds
Caution Flags: Laps 11-14 (#79 Spins in Turn 3); 16-22 (No. 11, No. 12, No. 0, No. 79 spin in Turn 3); 31-35 (No. 02 stalls on track); 54-60 (No. 97 spins
in Turn 1); 68-72 (No. 2 , No. 29 & No. 97, No. 40, No. 11,, No. 12, No. 5 spin in Turn 3); 76-79 (No. 48 spins in Turn 2); 107-116 (No. 48
spins in Turn 3). 7 for 42 laps.
Lap Leaders: Jason Myers 1-35, Burt Myers 36-60, Jason Myers 61, Burt Myers 62-116, L.W. Miller 117, Burt Myers 118-182, L.W. Miller 183-199.
Total Laps Led: Burt Myers 145, Jason Myers 36, L.W. Miller 18. 6 changes involving 3 drivers.
COCA COLA MOVE OF THE RACE AWARD: Frank Fleming, 40 Jerry Hunt Auto & Truck Center/Lewisville Motors Ford
COORS LIGHT POLE AWARD: Zach Brewer, 11 Phoenix Pre-Owned/Triad Auto Sales/Piedmont Floor Chevrolet
FEATHERLITE MOST IMPROVED DRIVER AWARD: Frank Fleming, 40 Jerry Hunt Auto & Truck Center/Lewisville Motors Ford
SUNOCO ROOKIE OF THE RACE AWARD: Mike Norman *, 12 DMC Auto Exchange/Combs Wholesale Produce/Aero8 Ford
Top 10 Driver Points: L.W. Miller 831, James Civali 794, Andy Seuss 792, John Smith 776, Burt Myers 739, Zach Brewer 709, Jason Myers 707, Frank
Fleming 677, Brandon Hire 656, Gene Pack 613
* Denotes Sunoco Rookie of the Year Contender
2010 Points Standings / Race Photos